The establishment of the Institute for Energy Efficiency in Production (EEP) is based on an initiative of entrepreneurs Heinz Dürr and Karl Schlecht. Through their foundation institutions, the Heinz and Heide Dürr Foundation and the Karl-Schlecht-Foundation, they enabled the establishment of the institute in October of 2012, in close collaboration with the University of Stuttgart and the Fraunhofer IPA.
The two foundations have now approved the basic funding of 250,000 Euros p.a. each, amounting to 2.5 million Euros for a second funding period of five years. Thereby, the two founders Heinz Dürr and Karl Schlecht sustainably support the University of Stuttgart in more ways than one: they enable the longterm activity of the EEP as well as contributing to the success of the energy system transition in Germany with a focus on the second pillar - energy efficiency.
The EEP is supported by an advisory board composed of the founders as well as political, industrial and societal influencers. It is responsible for supporting the Institute in issues of strategy and communication.
Members of the advisory board:
- Dr.-Ing. E.h. Heinz Dürr, Managing Director of the Heinz und Heide Dürr Foundation (First Chairman of the EEP Advisory Committee)
- Prof. E.h. Karl Schlecht, Chairman of the Karl Schlecht Foundation (KSG)
- Dietmar Hexel, former Member of the Government Commission DCGK
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h.c. Wolfram Ressel, Headmaster of the University of Stuttgart
- Carsten Rolle, Head of Energy Policy, Federal Association of German Industry (Bundesverband der Deutschen Industrie e.V. (BDI))
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Klaus Töpfer, Honorary Senior Fellow of the IASS (Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies); former Environment Secretary of Germany and UN Embassador for Environmental Protection (UNEP)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Bauernhansl, Director of the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation IPA and the Institute for Industrial Manufacturing and Factory Operation (IFF) at the University of Stuttgart
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hubert Waltl, Deputy Chairman of the Senate of the Fraunhofer Society
Former members of the advisory board:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Prof. E.h. Dr.-Ing. E.h. mult. Dr. h.c. Reimund Neugebauer, President of the Fraunhofer Society
- Stephan Kohler ✝